Sunday, May 21, 2017

ANOTHER HELPER

ANOTHER HELPER
John 14:16-26 (5/21/2017)
Introduction:  Author Keith Miller tells of an outgoing 40-year-old woman who was part of a sharing group he led. Here is her story: "When I was a tiny little girl, my parents died and I was put in an orphanage. I was not pretty at all and no one seemed to want me. But I longed to be adopted and loved by a family as far back as I can remember. I thought about it day and night, but everything I did seemed to go wrong. I must have tried too hard to please the people who came to look me over and what I did was to drive them away.
            "But then one day the head of the orphanage told me that a family was coming to take me home with them. I was so excited that I jumped up and down and cried like a little baby. The matron reminded me that I was on trial and this might not be a permanent arrangement, but I just knew that somehow it would work out.
            "So, I went with this family and started to go to school. I was the happiest little girl you can imagine, and life began to open up for me just a little. But then one day a few months later, I skipped home from school and ran into the front door of the big old house we lived in. No one was at home, but in the middle of the front hall was my battered suitcase with my little coat thrown across it. As I stood there it suddenly dawned on me what it meant---I didn’t belong there anymore."
            Miller reports that when the woman stopped speaking there was hardly a dry eye in the group. But then she cleared her throat and said almost matter-of-factly, "This happened to me seven times before I was 13 years old. But wait, don’t feel too badly. It was experiences like these that ultimately brought me to God---and there I found what I had always longed for---a place, a sense of belonging, a forever family." What a touching story of an orphan, how eventually found a home in God’s loving family.
            According to UNICEF there is an estimated 140 million orphan children in the world are looking for homes. What should be our response? Did you know that God cares for each one of them to find a home? If we care to admit, each of us have a longing for a home, a sense of belonging to a forever family. No, one likes to live like an orphan in this hostile world. We have been looking at the final words and ministry of Jesus before he was taken up into heaven. On one of such occasions Jesus consoled his heartbroken disciples who had learned about him going away. They couldn’t bear the thought of how he could just leave them, in a cruel world. To ease their angst, he promised to send them “Another Helper.” John 14:16-26

I. NO LONGER ORPHANS:
            Vs 18, “I will not leave (forsake) you as orphans; I will come to you.” Why did Jesus refer them to orphans? You and I may never understand the struggles of an orphan child unless we ourselves have been orphaned. I read an article that highlighted 4 struggles of orphan children.1. Children living without loving parents often experience more difficulty expressing their needs and emotions. 2. Children living as orphans go through a lack of sense of security and stability. 3. They lack nurture and support. 4. Children without parents will have to work much harder to develop social skills and achieve higher grades in school.
            The article ended with these words, “For both children with parents and those without, the unconditional love of the Father is unending. God sees them, hears them, and knows the desires of their heart. Every child everywhere is deeply loved by God, and nothing can ever change that.”[1] That is the heart of God for every child but also for adults though they seem to have everything may live like orphans, that includes the followers of Christ who live like spiritual orphans. God has always assured his people of his ever-abiding presence.
            Here are the parting words of Moses to his successor Joshua:The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” Deuteronomy 31:8 God reaffirmed that promise to Joshua again after the death of Moses, “Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you.” Joshua 1:5 Coming back to Jesus’ disciples, for them following Christ meant leaving everything:  behind, their families, parents, known profession including abandoning their very own lives.
            They were willing to let go of everything and follow Jesus. They were affirmed, that God’s ever abiding presence was going to be with them.  And it was so as long as Jesus was with them, but now Jesus was saying to them that he was going to be taken away from them.
            Can you imagine the anguish of an orphan child who once was homeless, but has then been adopted into a family, only to be abandoned again? That may have been the underlying feeling of the disciples. In that context, Jesus said, “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.” How was he going to keep that promise?  Was he going to come back physically and be with them? To find answers let’s look at verses 16&17.

II. ANOTHER HELPER
            Vs 16-17,I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.” What was Jesus referring to when he said, “Another Helper’? Let’s look at these words. In the Greek language, the word used for the Holy Spirit is, “Parakletos.” It has been translated as, ‘Comforter’, Intercessor, Interpreter, Preacher, and either Prosecutor or Defense Counsel. The basic meaning of the word is, Para means “beside” or alongside, and Kaleo meaning to call or to summon. If you put these words together, it refers to, “someone who is called alongside to help.”
            It has the idea of someone who encourages and exhorts. What is the meaning of the word, “another”? The Gr. word specifically means “another of the same kind” i.e., someone like Jesus Himself who will take His place and do His work. The Spirit of Christ is the Third Person of the Trinity, having the same essence of deity as Jesus and as perfectly one with Him as He is with the Father. Recently we undertook major cleaning operations in our Church. One Saturday, several of us worked so hard the whole day, by the end of the day got tired, exhausted yet determined to complete the work for that day, then suddenly showed up two extra helping hands, “other helpers” I am sure the exhausted crew must have been delighted and relieved by that extra help. We all could take some extra help, can we not?
            Similarly, at times our spiritual journey gets tiring, and exhausting. There is always so much to do, so many people need to hear the gospel, so many new believers to disciple. So many broken lives to be put together. In the Church, the work never seems to end. We grow weary in doing God. We desperately need some help! Recognizing, the enormity of the remaining task and the challenges that come along with it “Jesus said, I will ask the Father and He will give you another Helper, that he may be with you forever…He went on further said, “he abides with you and will be in you.”
            What is the pre-requisite of the Helper to come abide with us and reside in us? Jesus went one step further and deeper and said, Vs 23, “If anyone loves me Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode (home) with him.” Anything we do for God should always proceed out of our love for him. God never forces us to do things out of fear of him like in many other religions where people serve God out of fear not out of love. A heart that loves, God and is ready to obey his commandments is the one that receives “Another Helper”  
            What an assuring promise of Another Helper. When we have accepted Christ as our Savior, and express our love for him by obeying his commandments, another Helper, will come to be with us but also makes a home in us. Paul writing to the Corinthians reminds them of the fact that they were no longer of their own, they have been bought by the blood of the lamb and have been given the Holy Spirit to reside in them. “do you not know that your body is a [a]temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? 20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore, glorify God in your body.” I Corinthians 6:19-20

III THE IMPLICATION OF “ANOTHER HELPER”
            What happens when “Another Helper” or the Holy Spirit comes to reside in the heart of a believer? First of all, the work of changing an unbeliever into a believer in Christ has to be the primary work of the Holy Spirit. Without him no one will come to know Christ in the first place. Secondly, since He is called the “Holy” Spirit, he will clean up the things that are unholy and not pleasing to God. What does that clean up look like? It differs from person to person.
            When a person comes under the conviction of the Holy Spirit, he confesses his sins by acknowledging Christ as his savior. In John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” In other words, we will be given a clean heart and a fresh start. The resident Helper will continue to help us to live out that inner transformation by letting our light shine in the world through our good works.
            In the passage we read, Jesus highlighted the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer. Vs 26, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.” It is for next week. Let me now conclude with these thoughts. The life of a believer begins, is sustained, and empowered by “Another Helper, the Holy Spirit.” When the Holy Spirit makes his home in us we are no longer orphans, we have a place, we belong to a forever loving family of God. Amen
           



[1] http://sixseeds.patheos.com/showhope/2016/06/4-struggles-of-life-without-parents/