Sunday, September 3, 2023

Trusting in the God Of All Comfort (GOD IS.... Part V)

                                          TRUSTING IN THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT

Last week, we learned that God is love, and all he does is motivated by His love. This assertion of truth raises questions about life with all its frustrations and troubles. One author has captured this flavor in a devotional for high schoolers titled, "If God Loves Me, Why Can't I Get My Locker Open"? [1] We may chuckle at that, but it can be a crisis for a high schooler.

What would you say to first-time parents who had a stillborn child? How would you comfort a missionary couple discovering their beautiful 16-year-old daughter diagnosed with cancer on the mission field and dying a few years after returning to their home in the USA? Or a couple who lost their child in a school shooting? These are not hypotheticals but real ones.

When facing these troubles, we are tempted to wonder, can I trust God? The question arises, "Where is God in all of this? Can we really trust God when adversity strikes and fills our lives with pain? Will He deliver us when we call on Him as promised in Psalm 50:15? Will His unfailing love surround the person who trusts Him, as Psalm 32:10 affirms? As we try to understand pain and suffering, we will learn to Trust in the God of all Comfort. II Cor 1:1-11

I. Understanding Pain and Suffering

Among many challenges that skeptics and atheists throw at Christians, perhaps the most difficult one is explaining the problem of pain and suffering. Why would a loving God allow suffering in the World? In his book 31 Days Toward Trusting God, Jerry Bridges notes, "Sometimes we experience unexpected and undesired situations filling us with anxiety, frustration, heartache and grief. God's people are not immune from such pain. In fact, it often seems as if theirs is more severe, more frequent, more unexplainable, and more deeply felt than the pain of the unbeliever. The problem of pain is as old as history and just as universal." [2]

Regarding physical pain and suffering, I can not fully grasp why a sovereign God who loves us allows such pain and heartache. I look to God's Word for some answers. We know that the ultimate cause of all pain and suffering must be traced back to the sin of Adam and Eve, which affects us and all of creation. Here are the curses God pronounced after the Fall of man.

In Genesis 3:14- 18, we read that God cursed the serpent and put enmity between it and the woman's seed. He made childbearing pains very severe for the woman. He condemned the ground and gave the man the arduous task of cultivating and living by the grains from the ground. Finally, the man and woman will die because they sinned against God.

In Romans eight, the apostle Paul recounts the effects of these curses from the Garden of Eden and explains how God would one day redeem everything. Romans 8:22, "For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time."

This explains why the wildfires in Maui and Canada, the historic levels of flooding by hurricane Idalia in Florida, the biblical proportions of earthquakes, and famine in several places. Experts and politicians call it "Climate change," but the Bible calls it "the earth is groaning."

 This beautiful earth is rapidly decaying. With no amount of legislation or money spent, we can not save this earth under its present condition until the Lord redeems it on the final day. If the earth is subjected to such a fateful end, how about people, including believers in Christ? Romans 8:23: "And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering."

This explains why our bodies ache with pain, our hair thins and becomes gray, and we are subjected to physical and emotional suffering. It is all because of the Fall of man. But unlike the people in the World, those who believe in Christ will receive new and glorified bodies. But in the meantime, when we go through all kinds of suffering, we wonder where God is when life hurts.

II. God is close to the brokenhearted.

            Naturally, when we go through chronic pain and suffering, we wonder, God, where are you? Why are you too far away from me? Why don't you intervene and heal and set me free? You are not alone in crying that way. Many Biblical characters, like Job and David, including Jesus, cried out to God in their suffering. Whenever I am overwhelmed with life, I often refer to this prayer of David. I am sure some of you have prayed it as well. Psalm 55:1-16

            Vs. 1-8, "Listen to my prayer, O God. Do not ignore my cry for help! Please listen and answer me, for I am overwhelmed by my troubles. My enemies shout at me, making loud and wicked threats. They bring trouble on me and angrily hunt me down. My heart pounds in my chest. The terror of death assaults me. Fear and trembling overwhelm me, and I can't stop shaking. Oh, that I had wings like a dove; then I would fly away and rest! I would fly far away to the quiet of the wilderness. How quickly I would escape—far from this wild storm of hatred."

            Here, we see David going through pain and anguish. He wanted to run away and escape to a safe place where he would be free from the trouble and dangers of life. He continues to pour out his complaint, and in the end, he says to God, Vs. 16-17 "But I will call on God, and the Lord will rescue me. Morning, noon, and night, I cry out in my distress, and the Lord hears my voice."

Some of you here may be going through what David went through or even worse. Cry out to God, our loving heavenly Father, who is promised to be close to the brokenhearted and rescue those whose spirits are crushed. Psalm 34:18. God always has a purpose for the grief he allows into our lives. In James 1: 2:4, "Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy, for you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing." How could we endure our suffering?

III. Trusting in the God of all Comfort.

In the passage we read, the Apostle Paul explains what suffering does to individuals and collectively in the body of Christ and how one might endure it. The letter's context tells us that Paul went through overwhelming hardship in the province of Asia, almost to the point of death.

Paul unfolds several truths about God's character and how we can trust Him when our hearts are aching, and our bodies are racked with pain. First, we will suffer even when we do God's will, sometimes even more so because of His will. Secondly, we stop trusting ourselves but learn to trust in God, our merciful Father, and the source of all comfort.

Thirdly, remember why God comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we can give them the same comfort we have received from God. Fourth, be rest assured when our troubles increase, God's comfort rises with them. Fifth, as God's children, we don't suffer alone but with others in God's family. That is why we pray and support those who go through pain and suffering in our Church family.

What does trusting in the God of all comfort mean? It means we accept our pain and suffering are from Him. It is to say, God, I don't understand why I have to go through this pain, but like David, we say and sing, "But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me. I will sing to the LORD because he is good to me." Psalm 13:5-6

No one particularly welcomes and enjoys pain and suffering, yet we all suffer and go through heartaches because we live in this fallen World. What is our consolation in our suffering, especially for being a Christian? I Peter 4:12-13, "Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the World." Amen!

 



[1] Jerry Bridges, 31 Days Toward Trusting God, page 9

[2] Ibid., page 10