Sunday, June 9, 2019

Seven-Fold Blessings In Loving God


SEVEN-FOLD PROMISES IN LOVING GOD
Psalm 91:9-16
Introduction: Erwin W. Lutzer wrote, “Better to love God and die unknown than to love the world and be a hero. Better to be content with poverty than to die a slave to wealth; better to have taken some risks and lost than to have done nothing and succeeded at it; better to have lost some battles than to have retreated from the war; better to have failed when serving God than to have succeeded when serving the devil. What a tragedy to climb the ladder of success, only to discover that the ladder was leaning against the wrong wall.”
            In what are you better at today? On which wall is the ladder of your life placed? For the past few weeks, we have been learning about how God’s faithfulness works in the lives of those who trust Him. Today we will look at some of the promises that God makes to those who Love Him. Before we talk about those promises, here is how we can appropriate God’s promises.
I. IF: THE BIGGEST “LITTLE” WORD
            Vs. 9-12, 9 “If you make the Lord your refuge if you make the Most High your shelter, 10 no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home. 11 For he will order his angel to protect you wherever you go. 12 They will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.” All the promises of protection, safety, and health are yea and amen, and they are for all God’s Children, but they are conditional.
            The promises found in these verses depend on a conditional clause called “If.” In the English language, “IF” is used to talk about the result or effect of something that may happen or be true. But in the Bible, the biggest little word “if” carries the power of life or death, a blessing, or a curse. When we are faced with storms in life, we can either choose to run to His shelter in faith, or we can passively live our lives the way the world does. The choice is ours, if we run to Him, we will be saved if not we will reap the consequences accordingly.
            In Vs. 11-12, “For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go. They will hold you up with their hands so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.” This promise of angelic protection was misquoted by Satan in his temptation of the Messiah (Matt 4:6).
            This the idea of angels protecting people was prevalent in the OT. For example, in Psalm 103:20, “Praise the Lord, you angels, you mighty ones who carry out his plans, listening for each of his commands.” Corrie Ten Boom tells the story of an English man who was held in a German prison camp for a long time.  One day he read Psalm 91. “Father in heaven,” he prayed, “I see all these men dying around me, one after the other. Will I also have to die here?
            I am still young, and I very much want to work in Your kingdom here on earth.” He received this answer: “Rely on what you have just read and go home! Trusting in the Lord, he got up and walked into the corridor toward the gate. A guard called out, “Prisoner, where are you going? “I am under the protection of the “Most High,” he replied. The guard came to attention and let him pass, for Adolf Hitler was known as “the most high.”
            He came to the gate, where a group of guards stood. They commanded him to stop and asked him where he was going. “I am under the protection of the Most High.” All the guards stood at attention as he walked out the gate. He made his way through the German countryside and eventually reached England, where he told how he had made his escape. He was the only one to come out of the prison alive. If we make God our refuge, we too will be protected.
II. SEVEN-FOLD PROMISES IN LOVING GOD (Vs. 14-16)
            Vs. 14-16, “Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high because he has known My name. 15 “He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. 16 “With a long life I will satisfy him and let him see My salvation.” (NASB).
            Those of us who have been in the church for a while have heard these words, “Loving God” many times.  We may need to pause and ask ourselves, what does it mean – to love God?  What does love for God look like – feel like – how does it show itself? How did the original recipients understand loving God? In our modern contemporary world, the word love lost its essence. For example; we say we love God and chocolate in the same manner.
            However, for the OT people, the Hebrew word chashaq, which is translated as “love” has a much deeper meaning.  It meant: To be attached to, to love, to have pleasure, to delight in. It has a sense of joining together (intimacy) adhering, cleaving. This kind of love is already bound to its object. In the OT, it occurs twelve times. It can be used to describe God’s feelings for man or a man’s devotion towards God. It is a love which will not let go easily.
            With that understanding, I will paraphrase verse 14, “Because you have loved me…” In other words, “Because you know my name, delight in me, take pleasure in me, cleave to me, are attached to me, will never let go of me. Therefore, I will deliver you and keep you safe.”
            God himself is the speaker in this section (14-16), and he describes the blessings he gives to those who know him and love Him. Again, the word love here means, “a deep longing to God,” or “clinging to God.” If we were, to be honest with ourselves, we might not be loving Him the way he expects us to love Him. I say this not to make us feel guilty because I don’t want anyone of us to miss out on the abundant promises that will be ours when we love Him.
1. GOD IS MY DELIVERER: “Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him.”
            Deliverance is the first of the seven promises of loving God from this passage. Let’s make it personal. We say because I love you, Lord, I thank you for your promise of deliverance to me. At the beginning of Psalm 91, we learned that God wants to deliver us from every evil known to humankind. His protection will go with His people wherever they go.
            As a young missionary in India, traveling to unknown places in foreign countries, I had experienced God’s deliverance over and over again.  His protection has not yet stopped; he is there still to protect me. God’s deliverance for those who love Him is all-encompassing. It happens within(internal), and without (external); in fact, it surrounds us. Psalm 32: 7, “For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory.” 
2. I AM SEATED ON HIGH,I will set him securely on high because he has known My name.”
            To be set securely on high is the second promise to those who love the lord and know him by His name. In Ephesians 2:6, we read, “For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus.”
             It is interesting to note that God pulls us up to where He is! When we are drowning by insurmountable problems, let us remember God has raised us and made us sit with Jesus. Gloomy things look brighter, and trying things become manageable from higher up.
3. GOD ANSWERS MY CALL: Vs. 15“He will call upon Me, and I will answer him.”
            The third promise to those who love Him and call on His name is that God will answer him. What a wonderful blessing is this to know and remember. I John 5:14-15, “And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him.15 And since we know he hears us when we make our requests; we also know that he will give us what we ask for.”
            It gives me the confidence to know that when I pray in line with God’s word, He hears me. Not only that, He will answer me, though I may not understand all the ways in which He works. By studying the prayers in the Bible, we can learn that God knows what is best for us. He is our loving father who longs to bless his children with good gifts. According to James 1:17, “Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father.”
4. GOD RESCUES ME FROM TROUBLE:  Vs. 15, “I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.” The fourth promise to save from trouble those who love the Lord is found in the middle of verse fifteen. When we are in deep trouble, we tend to cry out to God and say, Lord, where you are? Can’t you see what I am going through? I don’t sense your presence!         In turn, God will respond to us affirmingly saying, “I have not left you to your misery, I am not too far from you, I am right here with you in your trouble, I will rescue you. The bible has many examples where the people of God saw this promise of God’s rescue fulfilled.
5. GOD HONORS ME:  I will honor him. Psalm 91:15 The fifth promise to honor those who love God is in the last part of verse 15.  Let’s admit all of us like to be praised, acknowledged, recognized, or honored for who we are and what we do. Have you ever thought about what it means to be honored by the God of the universe? He honors us by calling us his sons and daughters. In the Bible, honor also means wealth, riches and prosperity. God will bestow earthly riches and success on those who love Him and Call on His name.
6 & 7 LONG LIFE & SALVATION Vs. 16, “With long life, I will satisfy him and let him see My salvation.” In this verse, God doesn’t only say that he will prolong our life, means we will have many more birthdays. No! He says He will satisfy us with a long life. For those who love God, the promise is a long, satisfying life. Loving is like having your cake and eat it too. 
            On top of giving us long, satisfying life, the best is yet to come when he ushers us into His eternal presence to be with Him forever, that is the seventh promise of salvation.  It secures our future, but it starts now. Jesus constantly reminded us, “Salvation is now.” In order to live with Jesus eternally, you have to begin that journey with him today by accepting him as your savior. The word salvation has a much deeper meaning which includes health, security, deliverance, and provision. God is promising all that and much more to those who love and Know Him. Amen!