Sunday, January 12, 2020

Unchanging God In Uncertain Times


UNCHANGING GOD IN UNCERTAIN TIMES

Introduction: Recently, I had a WhatsApp call with one of my friends from my teenage years in India after thirty years. He remembers me only with my other name (Santhosh), which many of you don’t know, and as a dashing young man, which many of you have not seen. Like this! (photo). After seeing me, he made a comment I didn’t know whether to take it as a compliment or something else. He said, “You have changed so much, what happened to your beautiful hair?

            My only response to him was a faint smile and quickly moved the conversation to something else. Whether we admit it and learn to embrace our current reality, we humans change quite a bit, and all the time. That’s what makes us mere human. Only one thing is quite constant in this life, and that is change itself.  We are living in very troubling and uncertain times.

            This morning I want to introduce you to someone who is ageless and never changes and the steady anchor for our souls in a world that is so uncertain and rapidly changing.  That is Our God. We want to talk about the Immutability of God or the Unchangeableness of God.

            Immutable is not a word we often use. The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines it as “not capable of or susceptible to change.”  What are we saying when we say God is Immutable? We are talking about the perfection of God by which He is devoid of all change, in essence, attributes, consciousness, will, and promises. In other words, God never changes.

            John Snyder notes, “Modern humanity desperately needs a God who cannot be modified, altered, or adapted. The extraordinarily good news is that this describes the very God to whom Jesus brings us. There is so much we can learn about this incredible, indescribable, incomprehensible, and immutable God. However, I would focus on three things about this God that never change. They are God’s love, God’s Mercy, and God’s purposes that never change. Let’s explore the scripture passage in Psalm 102: 1-11 & 24-28, to understand how we might trust this “Unchanging God in Uncertain Times.



            Unlike several other Psalms, it is interesting to note that this Psalm is not addressing any one individual in a particular time and setting. The commentators generally suggest that it is the prayer of troubled Davidic King or a member of the Davidic royal house who was perhaps experiencing a physical sickness of some sort while in Babylonian exile.

            In the absence of such clear designation, we can call this Psalm, “A Prayer of One Whose Life Is Falling to Pieces, and Who Lets God Know Just How Bad It Is.” Here is the paraphrased version of this prayer. Vs. 1-11, “God, listen! Listen to my prayer; listen to the pain in my cries. Don’t turn your back on me just when I need you so desperately.

            Pay attention! This is a cry for help! And hurry—this can’t wait! I’m wasting away to nothing; I’m burning up with fever. I’m a ghost of my former self, half-consumed already by terminal illness. My jaws ache from gritting my teeth; I’m nothing but skin and bones.

            I’m like a buzzard in the desert, a crow perched on the rubble. Insomniac, I twitter away, mournful as a sparrow in the gutter. All-day long, my enemies taunt me, while others just curse.

They bring in meals—casseroles of ashes! I draw a drink from a barrel of my tears. And all because of your furious anger; you swept me up and threw me out. There’s nothing left of me, a withered weed, swept clean from the path.” (The Message)

            What an awful and painful state this person must have been going through. You and I may not identify with all that is going on in this Psalm. Perhaps certain aspects of it are quite real for you, and you are troubled, don’t know where to turn or whom to approach for relief. Much needed help will come to you in your situation when you cry out to God for His mercy like the person in the Psalm did.

            Vs. 24, “But I cried to him, “O my God, who lives forever, don’t take my life while I am so young!” Then He remembered all God created, their brevity and God’s enduring presence forever. Listen to his claim on God’s unchanging nature.

            Vs. 26-28, “They will perish, but you remain forever; they will wear out like old clothing.

You will change them like a garment and discard them. But you are always the same; you will live forever. The children of your people will live in security. Their children’s children will thrive in your presence.” This scripture is referring to the current world in all its splendor and beauty one day will perish like an old garment wears off. God will discard them.

            On the contrary, as the prophet Isaiah suggests, God will be creating new heavens and a new earth, wherein which all His children and their children who will follow Him will dwell in security forever. The offer of eternal life and eternal security for those who love Him are reliable and will come to pass because those promises were made by God, who is unchanging.

            These promises are trustworthy because God is trustworthy and never changes His mind.  Numbers 23:19, “God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should change His mind. Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfill?” No, God does not change His mind.”  Deut 31:8, “Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.”

            These and several others indicate that God is unchanging and unchangeable. Whether we recognize or not, we are living in troublingly uncertain times. We don’t know whose words we are to trust. When we turn to people for help, we may be disappointed, but we can trust God. Over the years, I have learned to rely upon God for my needs and some particular wants. Though he did not always give me what I asked Him for, He has always assured me of His steadfast love, and his ever-abiding presence in me.  Through the ups and downs of my life, God has remained faithful and reliable. With absolute confidence, I echo these words of the Psalmist. “It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in people. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.” Psalm 118: 8-9. Who do you trust, people, or God?

            How does this unchangeableness of God impact our lives? I suggest that it affects our continual need for God’s love and mercy. God remains unchangeable in these two areas. 

I. GOD’S UNCHANGING LOVE

            One of the inherent needs of all human beings is that we all need love, and we all need to love. We search for love in all possible tangible ways, and we remain unsatisfied until we find the pure love of our lives.  That pure love is nothing or no one else but God Himself.

            When we come to God in search of love, we will not be disappointed. He fills us with His love. God’s love towards His people is unchanging because He can not go against His nature. In the scriptures, we see this unchanging love of God over and over again. For instance, God loved the nation of Israel over and over in spite of their unfaithfulness.

            God expresses His deep and unchanging love for Israel through his prophet Hosea. “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and I called my son out of Egypt. But the more I called to him, the farther he moved from me, offering sacrifices to the images of Baal and burning incense to idols. I myself taught Israel how to walk, leading him along by the hand. But he doesn’t know or even care that it was I who took care of him. I led Israel along with my ropes of kindness and love. I lifted the yoke from his neck, and I myself stooped to feed him.” Hosea 11:1-4

            Is there anything that can separate us from the Love of God? Apart from our sin, there is nothing that will be able to separate us from God’s Love.  

            Romans 8:35-39, “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow, not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below; indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” God’s love towards us is unchanging and constant.

II. GOD’S UNCHANGING MERCY

            I saw a movie with my youngest daughter called Just Mercy. A line by Michael B Jordan, who was acting as Bryan Stevenson, the founder of the “Equal Justice Initiative,” touched me. “The closer we get to mass incarceration and extreme levels of punishment, the more I believe it’s necessary to recognize that we all need mercy, we all need justice, and perhaps we all need some measure of unmerited grace.”[1] Tell me, is there anyone who does not need mercy?

            If you want to know what mercy looks like, watch the movie based on a true story. In the story Walter McMillian, a young man sentenced to die for a notorious murder he did not commit. In the final scene of the movie, when the judge dismissed all the charges and declared him innocent, you should have seen the burst of tears of joy and shouts of relief.

            Tara and I, too, have cried and moved by that scene. That’s how mercy looks like. You and I may never understand what mercy is all about unless we know what Christ has done for us on the cross. The scripture tells us that we all have sinned. The wages of sin is death. Instead of us dying on the cross for our sins, Jesus took upon himself and died on the cross on our behalf so that you and I can be declared free of the guilt of sin and death, that is, the Mercy of God.

            When you wake up in the morning and find yourself in need of God’s love and mercy, don’t worry, God is there to show you His mercy and fill you with His love a fresh. Lam, 3:22-23, “The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.” How are we to live in the light of God’s immutability?

            We will rely on Him during uncertain times. We will trust Him to fill us with His love. We confess our sins and receive His mercy. God has loved us unconditionally and shown us mercy our fitting response is that we too want to love and be merciful to others. Amen!







[1] Bryan Stevenson, Just Mercy Page 18