Sunday, March 15, 2020

God is Our Abundant Helper


GOD IS OUR ABUNDANT HELPER

Introduction: Who would have thought when waking up in the morning, a short 30-minute visit to the PCP’s office, would end up in the E.R. for 30 hours? My Monday started regularly with a quick workout at the Gym. I went to see my PCP for a regular health check-up. During that time, my PCP noticed that I was having Atrial Fibrillation and called for an ambulance to rush me to the Emergency Room. At first, I was surprised, shocked, and afraid by the sudden turn of events. Could this be my last moment! Would I ever see my wife and children again? And so on, my thoughts went. For the first time, I felt death was glaring at me, and my time had come.

            From the Ambulance, I cried out to the Lord to protect me and give me another chance to live. Amazingly, I sensed the presence of God assuring me I would be OK. As I reached the E.R., I sensed as if everyone was ready to play with my heart to find out what was going on. Series of blood tests and EKGs were performed to confirm the baseline of my heart’s rhythm.

            The next day they put me through a nuclear stress test and echocardiogram to ascertain if there was any damage done to my heart during the whole process. After a thirty-hour uncertain and frightening encounter with death, my cardiologist said everything was normal, and I could go home and resume my normal activities. Those were the sweetest words of assurance.

            My wife and I praised God for giving me a fresh lease of life. While I was going through this whole ordeal, God spoke to me through Psalm 118: 16-17, “The strong right arm of the Lord is raised in triumph. The strong right arm of the Lord has done glorious things. I will not die; instead, I will live to tell what the Lord has done.”

            Today I am here alive to testify what God has done for me. We have an amazing God who loves us dearly and cares for us deeply. He will not leave us and abandon us even when you are in the Ambulance or the E.R. In the passage that was read today; we will find out how we are to respond in times of crisis and uncertain times, such as we are facing these days.

            In the past several weeks during our Mid-Week Connect groups, we had an enriching time of studying several Psalms. According to Walter Brueggemann, we humans find ourselves in one of these three states - orientation, disorientation, or new orientation. 1. A state of orientation, in which everything makes sense in our lives.

            2. A state of disorientation, in which we feel we have sunk into the pit or feel we don’t know where and why we are in the state we are in. And we don’t know how to pull ourselves out of this state. 3. A state of new orientation, in which we realize that God has lifted us out of the pit, and we are in a new place full of gratitude and awareness about our lives and our God.

            The Psalms give a voice to our feelings and thoughts. The critical point of the Psalms is that we have a loving God who is watching over us and knows what is going on, and the responsibility is on us to remember Him, call out to Him and wait on Him.

            The Last five Psalms are known as Praise Psalms. Psalm 146 is considered a Psalm of New Orientation because it acknowledges that all is not right with the world, and it emphasizes the on-going activity of God in rescuing the oppressed and those who have no social context in which to find security. With that background information, let’s explore the Psalm.

I. GOD INHABITS OUR PRAISES

            There is nothing that delights God more than the praises of His people as He inhabits them. When God’s people, either corporately or privately, Praise Him, He shows up in their midst. Praising God was a crucial part of worship in the O.T. David places the Ark of the Lord, in a special tent and appoints “Levites to lead the people in worship before the Ark of the Lord to invoke his blessings, to give thanks, and to praise the Lord, the God of Israel.” I Chr 16:4.

            For David from a very young age, singing praises to God was an essential part of his life. He didn’t forget it even after becoming the King of Israel.

            At one point, he said, Psalm 71:6, “Yes, you have been with me from birth; from my mother’s womb, you have cared for me. No wonder I am always praising you.” In Psalm 146:1-2, we read David’s resolve to Praise God, “Praise the Lord! Let all that I am praise the Lord. I will praise the Lord as long as I live. I will sing praises to my God with my dying breath.”

            David praised God from the time he was born, he continued to praise God throughout his life, and he even resolved to Praise Him with his dying breath. How praising is God part of your life? What is praise, and how do we understand the Biblical concept of praising God?

            The first mention of the word in the Bible is found in Genesis 29:35, “Leah, after giving birth to another son she named Judah, for she said, “Now I will praise the LORD.” The first mention of the word praise in the New Testament was when Mary sang Praises to God upon hearing the news that she was going to be the mother of the savior of the world.

            To sum up, praise means giving glory to God for who He is and for all His mighty acts. Only God is worthy of our praise as He has created us; therefore, it fits for us to praise Him. To emphasize that fact, David exposes the frailty and brevity of men, including powerful men.

II. TRUSTING IN GOD

            Vs. 3-4, “Don’t put your confidence in powerful people; there is no help for you there. When they breathe their last, they return to the earth, and all their plans die with them.” Instead of him being one of the most powerful kings of Israel and in that region, he downplayed his powerful position and instead showed humility.

            On our currency, it says in God we trust, but do we? We have an unhealthy fascination and admiration for powerful people. We put our confidence in our politicians, but they are no different than anyone of us; they too are mere mortals, and they also will die one day. What happens then to all their boasting and plans? They, too, will die with them. That is reality!

            It doesn’t mean we don’t respect and listen to those who are in authority or follow their advice, but it only means that we recognize they are just humans and can only do so much. The current COVID-19 is affecting people everywhere on all continents. World leaders are being shaken up. People are worried about how to survive, groceries, disinfectants, and other supplies are running out. It is a test for our president and his cabinet to tackle this issue.

            We must keep praying for the leaders of our world so that they would seek God and find His counsel regarding what to do in this situation. As if God is trying to remind us! Hello, I am up here still, look up! I am still in charge here! If we cannot rely upon powerful people, on who should we count? Who can help us? Who can get us through this crisis?

III GOD IS OUR ABUNDANT HELP

            Vs. 5-6But joyful are those who have the God of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God. He made heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them. He keeps every promise forever.” The God of Israel here is the Lord God Almighty, the Lord Jehovah. He is also known as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

            The heathen nations, the people, and the kings of those nations knew who the God of Israel was. They saw firsthand how the God of the armies of Israel fought their battles and brought them victories. Those who put their hope in the God of Israel and come to Him for help are joyful. But those who trust in the earthly leaders will be disappointed.

            What assurance do we have that when we come to God, we are indeed helped? Here are a few reasons. Firstly, God is the creator of the whole universe, and He also created you and me. Secondly, God is our abundant helper in times of need. Thirdly, God keeps His promises forever.           He has a reliable track record of keeping his promises. Fourthly, He is involved in the affairs of mankind throughout the earth. This is how He shows His involvement. Vs. 7-9. He gives justice to the oppressed and food to the hungry. He sets the prisoners free. He heals the blind. He lifts those who are weighed down. He loves the godly. The Lord loves the godly. He protects the foreigners among us. He cares for the orphans and widows, but he frustrates the plans of the wicked. Now tell me who else can do all these and much more?

            This God reigns forever, and He wants to be our God, but the questions we need to answer are: Do we want Him as our God? Do we come to Him for help? Do we seek Him and give Him praise?  Do we rely upon Him, or do we rely upon our strength?  During this global crisis, we need people of faith; we need those who can confidently lead people with strength and wisdom given by our Lord God. Who is your hope today?

            My advice to all of us during this COVID-19 crisis is this. Let’s not be afraid, and let’s not worry. We, as Hope Church believers, can be the voice of reason and hope in our communities where people are living with fear. We can share with them the good news of the Gospel as we prayerfully and confidently echo these words of David, Psalm 118:6-9, “The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?

            Yes, the Lord is for me; he will help me. I will look in triumph at those who hate me. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in people. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes.” Let’s give Him all the Praise and Glory.! Amen!