Sunday, May 26, 2024

Know Your Belovedness

                       KNOW YOUR BELOVEDNESS 

            In his book Searching for God Knows What, Donald Miller shares a story of how he helped a friend whose alcoholism was destroying his life: “Last year, I pulled a friend out of his closet. His marriage was falling apart because of his inability to stop drinking. This man is a kind and brilliant human being, touched with many gifts from God but addicted to alcohol and being taken down in the fight. He was suicidal, we thought, and the kids had been sent away.

            We sat together on his back deck and talked for hours, deep into the night. I didn’t think he was going to make it. I worried about him as I boarded my flight back to Portland, and he checked himself into rehab. Two months later, he picked me up from the same airport, having gone several weeks without a drink. As he told me the story of the beginnings of his painful recovery process, he said a single incident was giving him the strength to continue.

            His Father had flown in to attend a recovery meeting with him, and in the meeting, my friend had to confess all his issues and weaknesses. When he finished, his Father stood up to address the group. He looked at his son and said, “I have never loved my son as much as I do at this moment. I love him. I want all of you to know I love him.” My friend said that at that moment, for the first time in his life, he could believe that God loved him, too. If  God, his Father, and his wife all loved him, he believed that he could fight the addiction, and he might make it through.”[1] A father’s unconditional love changed an alcoholic son for good. 

            If an earthly father could love his alcoholic son that much, how much more could our heavenly Father love us? No matter what you are going through today, God is here to tell you He loves you so much and delights in you as his dearly beloved son or daughter. Do you Know Your Belovedness? That was what the Apostle Paul was writing in Ephesians 4:32-5:1-2

            The Apostle Paul affirms our new identity and purpose in Ephesians 5:1-2, “Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children, and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

              “Therefore, be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.” (NASB). If we were to imitate God as his beloved children, we need to know who our God is and what our Belovedness is. Let’s explore these aspects of father-son/ daughter relationships.

I. God is Love.

            What is your view of God? How do you approach Him? Your view of God and how you approach Him deeply affects your relationship with Him. Some approach God as the ruler, master, and judge of the world. Someone who is up there waiting to punish our wrongdoings and reward our good works. If that is how we approach God, our relationship with Him is no different from that with a police officer who writes a ticket, a teacher who grades our papers, or a judge who rules a verdict. In the world, many approach God with fear.

            The scriptures show us a different God than we have imagined or told. The Apostle John, also known as “the disciple whom Jesus loved,” gives one of the most profound and all-encompassing definitions of who God is. I John 4:15-16, “If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.” God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.

 

The essence of God is love. For our study, we refer to the Greek word Agape to describe God’s love, which is selfless love. All the attributes of God are summed up in this one word: Love. All that God is Love and all that He does is motivated out of love, including his justice and punishment of sinners. God is not full of love, but He Himself is Love.

We do not know what true love is without knowing God. This is how God shows his love for his people. God loves his people with an everlasting love. Exodus 20:6, “But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.” In Jeremiah 31:3, “Long ago the Lord said to Israel: “I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love, I have drawn you to myself.”

            God Loves his people unconditionally. You don’t have to be a good person. By the way, none of us deserve God’s love, yet He loves us unconditionally. God’s expression of His unconditional love is found throughout the Bible. No matter how bad we have become, God never stops loving us. While we were yet sinners, God loved us unconditionally.

            Romans 5:6-8, “You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person, someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

            When Jesus came into the world, the Jews rejected Him. John 1:12, “Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” That was what the Apostle Paul called the Ephesian believers, “beloved children.”

II. Know Your Belovedness.

            Unlike many other religions, Christianity believes in a God who created the universe and made humanity in His own image so that He could love and have a relationship with them. The biblical authors affectionately describe that relationship as a “father, son/daughter” relationship. Approximately 18.3 million children across America live without a father in the home, comprising about 1 in 4 children. Many do not know that God loves them.

          If you grew up in such a home, it would be hard to understand when I say God is your loving Father and you are his beloved son and daughter. Or perhaps you may have grown up in a two-parent home yet may have difficulty knowing you are dearly loved by God.

            Here are a few scriptures that help you understand how much God loves and delights in you. I John 3:1-3, “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! Relish in the fact that we are God’s beloved children.

             Here is how God tenderly expresses his fatherly love and care to the fledgling nation of Israel. Hosea 11:1-4 “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son. But the more they were called, the more they went away from me. It was I who taught Ephraim to walk, taking them by the arms, but they did not realize it was I who healed them. I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love. To them, I was like one who lifts a little child to the cheek, and I bent down to feed them.” As a loving father, God is intimately involved with us.

            When God looks at His obedient and faithful children, He is delighted. Psalm 147:11, “The Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.” This was how the Psalmist affirmed his Belovedness, Psalm 18:16-19, “He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.” God knows and sees everything you are going through.

            One thing I want you to leave with today is that you know your Belovedness. God loves you passionately. He rejoices over you with singing. Your heavenly Father knows what you need, and He cares for you. Trust in His unfailing love, providing hand, healing and comforting touch, and protecting power from enemies. Your Father and Mother may forsake you, but God promised never to leave or forsake you because you are his beloved daughter and son.

 

 

 

 

           



[1]  Donald Miller, "Searching for God Knows What" (Thomas Nelson, 2004), p. 130-131