BE ANXIOUS FOR NOTHING
(A
Biblical and Therapeutic Framework)
Philippians
4:4-7
Author Tries to Find a "Cure" for
His Anxiety
In
an article in The Atlantic magazine, Scott Stossel shares openly
about his lifelong attempts to deal with the anguish of anxiety. From an early
age, he's been what he calls "a twitchy bundle of phobias, fears, and
neuroses." Stossel writes: "Even when not actively afflicted by acute
episodes [of anxiety], I am buffeted by worry." Stossel adds, "Here's
what I've tried [to deal with my anxiety]:
Individual
psychotherapy (three decades of it), family therapy, group therapy,
cognitive-behavioral therapy, rational emotive behavior therapy, acceptance and
commitment therapy, hypnosis, meditation, role-playing, interoceptive exposure
therapy, in vivo exposure therapy, self-help workbooks, massage therapy,
prayer, acupuncture, yoga, Stoic philosophy, and audiotapes I ordered from a
late-night TV infomercial.
And
medication. Lots of medication. Thorazine. Imipramine. Desipramine.
Chlorpheniramine. Nardil. BuSpar. Prozac. Zoloft. Paxil. Wellbutrin. Effexor.
Celexa. Lexapro. Cymbalta. Luvox. Trazodone. Levoxyl. Inderal. Tranxene. Serax.
Centrax. St. John's wort. Zolpidem. Valium. Librium. Ativan. Xanax. Klonopin.
Also: beer, wine, gin, bourbon, vodka, and scotch.[1] Here's what's
worked: nothing.
This
story could show us either 1. The deep pain and powerlessness of dealing with
crippling anxiety or other mental health issues, or 2. Our need for God's grace
and power to help us in our weakness. Many have tried to find a cure for
anxiety; has anything helped them? I am not minimizing the pain of anxiety. We
have all, at one time or another, experienced it, and some may be going through
it right now. I want to present a pathway to overcoming anxiety.
A
biblical and therapeutic framework is found in Philippians 4:4-7. Be Anxious
For Nothing! When we hear these words, our first reaction might be, "Who
is this guy?" He might be either insane, immune to the normal pain and
struggles of life, or ignorant of the current reality. These words come from a
letter from Paul to the believers in the Church of Philippi.
Where
was Paul when he wrote this letter, and what gives him credibility over this
bold command to be anxious for nothing? The church in Phillipi was the first
congregation Paul established in Europe, following the conversion of a rich
businesswoman named Lydia and the miraculous conversion of the jailer and his
entire household during Paul's imprisonment. (Acts 16:16-40). Ten years after
that, Paul was in jail again for advancing the Gospel. This time, he was in a
Roman prison. Phil 1:13: From there, he wrote a letter to the Philippian
believers.
Besides
being in prison, what pain and struggles did Paul endure? You may wonder. Paul
doesn't shy away from sharing his troubles; in fact, he described them in
graphic detail in another letter to the Church in Corinth while challenging
those who doubted his credibility.
II Cor 2:23-31, "Are
they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am
more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been
flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24 Five
times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with
rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was
shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move.
I have been in danger
from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in
danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in
danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I
have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known
hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and
naked. 28 Besides
everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I do not feel
weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? If I must
boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 31 The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who
is to be praised forever, knows that I am not lying."
Here is Paul, who knew what hardship and
anxiety felt like. Yet he offers a threefold framework for overcoming anxiety,
consisting of a deliberate choice, a blessed assurance, and a lifestyle of
prayer and thanksgiving. I. A deliberate choice to rejoice. "Rejoice
in the LORD always. I will say it again: Rejoice. Phil 4:4. We feel anxious
when we hear sad news or a terrible diagnosis. This can lead to physical,
mental, and behavioral challenges. These can include a racing heart,
nervousness, fear, difficulty focusing, fatigue, headaches, and insomnia.
Rejoicing
in the Lord over and over again doesn't come easily when we go through angst
and anxiety in life; it is a deliberate choice we make despite glaring,
troubling situations and circumstances. Rejoicing in the LORD doesn't mean
ignoring the painful problems in life, Infact we name them before God, yet we choose
to rejoice in the Lord through singing and praising Him. Next time you feel
afraid and anxious, instead of seeking help from physical substances, give
yourself to singing joyful songs of praise and worship, and see how your focus
shifts; you might even find deliverance from your troubling situation. Acts 16:25
II. A
blessed assurance of God's Presence. Vs 5
Vs.
5: "Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near." When we
go through troubles, hardships, and anxiety, it is normal to lose our cool, get
upset, and get angry, and we can even hurt ourselves and others. Certain
physical health conditions can aggravate us and leave us agitated beyond our
control; it is hard to remain gentle during such situations.
What
keeps us gentle and even helps us overcome our anxiety? It is the blessed
assurance of God's abiding presence. Knowing that God is near means I have
nothing to fear. Just imagine this: when God is next to you, walking with you
every step of the way, is there anything you can be afraid of? Is there
anything you and the Lord cannot handle?
Most
of our problems arise not because God is incapable of handling difficult
situations in our lives, but because of our overconfidence, thinking we can and
want to live without God and on our own terms. If that is our attitude, we
suffer anxiety. But when we realize that God is near me, and though the whole
world may reject me, my Lord Jesus will never leave or forsake me, as He has
promised. My racing heart will find rest, and crippling fear and angst will
give way to calmness and stability—for example, when I lead a YWAM center in
the main leader's absence. One of God's names is Immanuel, which
means God with us.
Let's
see how Jesus comforted and promised his grieving and anxious disciples. John
14:1-3, "Do not
let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father's house has many rooms; if that
were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a
place for you? 3 And if I go
and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me
that you also may be where I am." This will be our glorious future.
But how about today? In a
world full of troubles and angst, how did Jesus assure us of his abiding
presence? John 14:15-18: "If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask
the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you
forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither
sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in
you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." No matter what
you are going through, reach out to the Holy Spirit that lives inside of us.
III. A
Lifestyle of Prayer and Thanksgiving.
The third element in overcoming anxiety is to
cultivate a lifestyle of prayer and thanksgiving. Phil 4:6: "Do not be
anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Cultivating a lifestyle
of prayer takes discipline and intentionality. When we pray, we come into the
presence of Almighty God, the Creator and Sustainer of the universe. We
approach the throne of the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. What qualifies
us to enter the presence of such a powerful King?
The
President and the Little Boy
During
the war between the states, a young soldier in the Union Army lost his older
brother and his Father in the Battle of Gettysburg. The Soldier decided to go
to Washington, D.C., to see President Lincoln and ask for an exemption from
military service so he could return to help his sister and mother with spring
planting on the farm. When he arrived in Washington, after receiving a furlough
from the military to plead his case, he went to the White House, approached the
front gate, and asked to see the president.
The
guard on duty told him, "You can't see the president, young man! Don't you
know there's a war going on? The president is a very busy man! Now go away,
son! Get back out there on the battle lines where you belong!"
So
the young Soldier left, disheartened, and sat on a little park bench not far
from the White House when a little boy came up to him. The lad said, "Soldier,
you look unhappy. What's wrong?" The Soldier looked at the little boy and
began to spill his heart to him. He told of his Father and his brother being
killed in the war, and of the desperate situation at home. He explained that
his mother and sister had no one to help them with the farm.
The
little boy listened and said, "I can help you, soldier." He took the Soldier
by the hand and led him back to the front gate of the White House. Apparently,
the guard didn't notice them, because they weren't stopped. They walked
straight to the front door of the White House and walked right in. After they
got inside, they walked right past generals and high-ranking officials, and no
one said a word. The Soldier couldn't understand this. Why didn't anyone try to
stop them? Finally, they reached the Oval Office—where the president was
working—and the little boy didn't even knock on the door. He just walked right
in and led the Soldier in with him. There, behind the desk, were Abraham
Lincoln and his Secretary of State, looking over battle plans that were laid
out on his desk.
The
president looked at the boy and then at the Soldier and said, "Good
afternoon, Tad. Can you introduce me to your friend?" And Tad Lincoln, the
son of the president, said, "Daddy, this soldier needs to talk to you."
The Soldier pled his case before Mr. Lincoln, and right then and there he
received the exemption that he desired.[2]
We
are like little children who have access to the Father because Jesus Christ
intercedes for us. Because of Christ, we have peace with God. We can come to
him anytime, anywhere. "But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away
have been brought near through the blood of Christ. For he himself is our
peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing
wall of hostility…For through him we have access to the Father."
(Ephesians 2:13, 18). When we bring our petitions and prayers with thanksgiving,
this is what happens to us. The Peace of God, which transcends all
understanding, will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus our Lord. There
goes our anxiety out the window, and the Peace and Joy will return. Amen!
[1] Scott Stossel, "Surviving Anxiety," The Atlantic
(12-22-13) https://www.christianitytoday.com/pastors/preaching/sermon-illustrations/author-tries-to-find-cure-for-his-anxiety/ 8-25-2026
